On Friday, May 14th Cece & I attended PAVE’s (Promoting Awareness Victim Empowerment) first gala. PAVE celebrated 10 years of working towards “Shattering the Silence of Sexual Violence”.
Founder Angela Rose was 17 years old when she was exiting Woodfield Mall where she worked part-time. As she walked outside, she was abducted by a repeat sex offender. Her life was forever changed. However, Angela’s resilience led her to turn this tragedy into something amazing-PAVE, an organization which helps supports victims of such crimes and works to keep our communities safe.
Angela worked with the perpetrator’s previous victims as well as the community to help enact the Illinois Sexually Violent Persons Commitment Act in 1998. Since its enactment, over 200 convicted repeat sex offenders have been committed under the Act.
Over the years PAVE has worked to create education and action surrounding the issues of sexual violence, while being inclusive to all individuals and their experiences serving both males and females.
At the gala Jesse White, Robert Jordan and Laura Schwartz all did a great job speaking to the guests about the cause.
Angela has the largest heart of anyone we know and she has truly taken a horrifying experience and turned it around to help others nationwide.
We are proud to know Angela and are moved by all of her hard work and dedication. This is a great opportunity for you to help this great cause by contributing to their efforts to develop multi-media violence prevention materials.
Donations are always accepted at: http://www.pavingtheway.net/donate.html
Here is how you can help PAVE!…
- $25 brings resources to religious centers for victims of sexual and domestic violence
- $50 promotes a male survivors and allies conference or awareness event
- $100 creates one educational DVD and curriculum for a college
- $300 mobilizes a grassroots campaign through one-click action alerts
- $1,000 brings a speaker to a school or juvenile detention center to talk on empowerment after abuse
- $3,000 funds an annual art for awareness event in L.A., NYC or D.C.
- $5,000 supports a year of PAVE campaigns for all awareness months
Check out the ABC clip about the gala!
We are looking forward to attending the 2nd annual PAVE gala next year!